SCOTT C. RYAN
Successful, proven leader with outstanding analytical, client management and technology skills. Strong interpersonal skills, ability to quickly identify and analyze risk and a proven track record of managing complex projects. Over 23 years of professional experience leading business and legal functions. Leadership, business, and legal skills earned as a senior executive with a large publicly traded company (#513 on the Fortune 1000 list) and two national AM Law 100 law firms.
FR LAW GROUP PLLC. Phoenix, AZ. Founding Partner & Managing Member. August 2017 – Current.
FR Law Group PLLC is a boutique litigation and commercial transaction law firm. The founding partners come from AM100 law firms and a Fortune 1000 company.
TUTOR PERINI CORPORATION, BUILDING GROUP (NYSE:TPC). Phoenix, AZ. Senior Vice President & General Counsel. November 2014 – July 2017.
TPC is one of the largest construction companies in the US (Engineering News-Record Top 10) with annual revenues approximating $5B.
As a direct report to the Building Group’s CEO, manage all legal matters for the Group’s business units. Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Managed in excess of $1B of non-insurance liability matters and in excess of $1B of insurance defense matters to a successful conclusion. Strategize with outside counsel to formulate litigation action plans and budgets for presentation to senior executives for discussion and action. Subsequently, lead and manage multiple teams of outside counsel, expert witnesses, and internal staff during the course of such disputes.
- Managed a team of two attorneys, a director, two managers, a paralegal and four support staff.
- Draft, review and negotiate prime contracts for large-scale commercial construction projects ranging from +$50M to +$6B. In conjunction with such prime contracts, draft, review and negotiate a wide range of project-specific subcontracts, consulting agreements and design contracts to execute the prime contracts. Review and negotiate complex bank documents in conjunction with the client’s project financing.
- Provide legal advice to the Group’s CEO, business unit Presidents and other senior executives on complex matters and high-risk issues arising from their respective business unit’s operations.
- Advise CEO with respect to corporate compliance and governance issues. SOX reporting in relation to 10-Q and 10-K reports. Manage the audit of various business processes and advise senior executives with respect to project team performance.
- Advise CEO and business unit Presidents with respect to contract disputes, complex insurance, surety and Subguard claims.
- Conduct internal investigations when necessary and report to the CEO. Manage labor disputes with labor unions and union employees.
- Draft, review and negotiate leases and land purchase contracts
- Lead in-house educational seminars and training on claims avoidance and contract management.
POLSINELLI. Phoenix, AZ. Shareholder. March 2014 – November 2014.
Polsinelli is a national AM Law 100 law firm.
- Represented clients in relation to large-scale commercial developments andclaims avoidance/management.
- Represented clients in relation to legacy environmental claims arising from past acquisitions
- Represented clients in insurance coverage disputes with respect to liability and property claims.
GLOBAL PARTNER HOLDINGS LLC. Las Vegas, NV. Executive Vice President, General Counsel and Equity Partner. July 2012 – March 2014.
GPH was a privately held entity formed for the purpose of acquiring and developing distressed real estate throughout the U.S. and internationally.
As a direct report and equity partner of the company’s Chairman & CEO managed all legal, risk management and administrative matters for the company. Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Draft, review and negotiate development, design management and construction related agreements for large-scale commercial developments around the United States and in Qatar.
- Executive in charge of managing the company’s accounting personnel and the development of the company’s standard policies and procedures.
PERINI BUILDING COMPANY, INC. Phoenix, AZ. General Counsel. July 2005 – July 2012.
Perini Building Company (n/k/a Tutor Perini Building Corp.) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Tutor Perini Corporation specializing in constructing large-scale mega commercial projects such as Hudson Yards in New York City, CityCenter and the Cosmopolitan in Las Vegas.
As a direct report to the company’s Chairman & CEO managed all legal, risk management and information management matters for the company. In addition to the specific duties and responsibilities in my role as the Senior Vice President & General Counsel of the Tutor Perini Building Group, other duties and responsibilities included managing company’s risk management and information management departments, consisting of a staff of seven employees.
PCR INSURANCE COMPANY. Phoenix, AZ. Vice President, Secretary & Director. January 2008 – July 2012.
As a direct report to the company’s CFO was part of the team that formed, launched and managed Tutor Perini’s wholly-owned captive insurance company. While serving in this capacity, the captive grew from ensuring general liability exposure to ensuring multiple lines of insurance including first layer general liability, certain layers of the company’s excess liability exposure, Subguard, equipment policies, worker’s compensation, the company’s rolling CCIP program, and auto insurance.
JENKENS & GILCHRIST. Chicago, IL. Associate. November 2001 – July 2005.
Jenkens & Gilchrist was a national AM Law 100 law firm.
As an associate of the firm, represented Engineering News-Record Top 20 contractors, owners, designers and subcontractors in large-scale construction claims, litigation, arbitrations and mediations arising from large-scale commercial, institutional, airport and process piping projects.
PERINI BUILDING COMPANY, INC. Phoenix, AZ. Project Engineer. July 1994 – August 1998.
As a direct report to the company’s Vice President of Operations as part of estimating and project management teams on large-scale projects including public projects, casino resorts, healthcare facilities, and correctional institutions.
DEPAUL UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF LAW, Chicago, IL. Juris Doctorate Degree, May 2001. National Moot Court Team. Full-time law clerk at Arnold, White & Durkee and Jenkens & Gilchrist during second and third years of law school.
ARIZONA STATE UNIVERSITY, COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING, Tempe, AZ. Master of Science Degree, May 1994.
ARIZONA STATE UNIVERSITY, COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING, Tempe, AZ. Bachelor of Science Degree, December 1993.